Sword of Embera
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Winterlands

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Winterlands  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Winterlands

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 am

The moment she felt the cool air settle, she tightened the cloak around herself. Not just because of the chills... She was a little afraid. Rory was kind enough to let her live in his home and offered to read her dreams. To not trust him would be unfair, as well as unethical. To her, anyway. Even if this was all a well thought out trap, she was willing to face the consequences.

MD had nothing to lose, after all.

Slowly, her gaze shifted away from the man while she stood herself up, maintaining professional posture. A knuckled reached to her eye, rubbing at it with hopes of sending the drowsiness away. Michelle wanted to go back to bed, but sadly, she felt too scared. Sleep was hard to come by lately because of the damn nightmares.

"Your house is cold. Could I start a fire?" she offered while taking the cape off of herself. Being such a scrawny girl, it was hard to warm up. Rory's sudden change in mood was spine chilling already. With promise of a fire, or at least some time to find a jacket, she wouldn't complain.

"I feel like I might fall asleep right here and now, so a little labour would help wake me up."
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:17 am

"No," he said. "I would rather that you get enough sleep. You've only been here for less than a day. I don't like my hired hands working off of less than eight hours of sleep." His voice was now soft.

"However, if you would like a proper coat I will buy you one. In the mean time, you may hold on to that cape. I am immune to the draftiness of the room."

"Oh no...You don't have too." MD said. "I'm alright."

The two continued to repeat these same lines several more times, until Rory said, "I insist."

MD smiled and thanked him.

"I want you to go back to sleep. You need the rest. I won't be here later in the morning, so Atlantis will be here if you need anything.‎" Rory said. He paused for a moment, " There is one more thing. I want you think about this statement: You can't hide from your past, those who do will crumble just as quickly as the greatest of empires that have also tried to hide from their past and been left in ruins, for your past is the greatest asset as to how to improve the future."
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

"I will keep that in my thoughts," MD promised him tiredly, noting the importance of the last phrase he spoke to her. After a respective nod of her head, she left him to go back to her room and sleep. The cape was kept wrapped around her even when she got in bed. For some reason, she felt safer with it on. There was a comforting scent on it and it being so large allowed it to be another blanket. Just like when her father would drape his coat over her during long rides in the car or late nights away from home.

When a few hours passed, she got out of bed again, leaving the cape on her bed with the bedding. After straightening it all up, of course. Now that she was more awake, she felt more able to get things done.

Some cleaning supplies were located so she could get to some dusty corners that started bothering her. Someone, like her, with allergies couldn't tolerate so much dusty build up in one place. In fact, during the cleaning, she sneezed several times. However, she didn't feel as bothered by it in this world. She didn't feel congested or sore like she would at home. 'Well, at least I'm getting something done, she thought to herself. This wasn't entirely for her benefit anyway; it was her job.

Downstairs was where she expected Atlantis to be. With the duster still in hand, she made her way down the stairs, looking for the boy cautiously. Somehow, she knew he would attack her with a hug...
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Atlantis grinned when he saw MJ walk down the stairs. "Hello, hello!" All around him were the largest sweet rolls that she had ever seen in her life. "Since Rory left a few hours ago, we'll have this place to ourselves for a while! I took the liberty of going to the local bakery to get some fresh foods. No, no. Don't you worry your little head, I have money and I bought them legally."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He then pulled out a chair and then smiled. She sat down since it would be rude to reject a meal from a kind host.

MD looked at Atlantis. The white haired angel had seemingly changed into a different costume than the one he had been wearing last night. He remindedMD of a mail man back in her home town.

"How come you have brown hair now?" MD asked.

"About the outfit. The town has several laws of some sort. I'm not exactly into the whole legal system mumbo jumbo, so here's the most important two I remember! Number one, every being must work Two, every being must take responsibility for their actions. So whenever I visit I take up the role of a mail carrier! The silly people of this town don't think much about the passage of time or my visits!"

"Where did Rory go?" MD asked.

"I dunno. He comes and goes a lot. Sort of like a cowboy that rides on the plains all alone. He's the sort not bound by the culture of the modern era." He then sipped his now lukewarm tea. "Unlike me. I live in the moment. I ain't the sort that likes waiting for the answers to come to me. All we have is this very moment and that's what we should all life for!"

"You should join me for one of my rides around town! Let's get you used to the world around you. A life of solitute doesn't help anyone out, if you ask me!" He then grabbed a hold of MD's left hand.

MD froze for a moment. Hadn't Rory told her that the townspeople would be scared of her since she lacked a shadow?

Atlantis grinned with a boyish charm. "We must find you the right role to play in this little game. Hrmmm..." He then put his hand on is chin and looked MD from top to bottom. "No, no! A maid outfit will simply not do! For we are going into town!" He then giggled, "I know! You shall be my new friend that is trying to becoming a messenger!"
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:18 am

The thought of going into town was frightening. Not just because Rory mentioned her lack of a shadow would be disproved, but because she didn't know anyone. Then again, that wasn't too different from home. She always walked the streets feeling like a stranger in her own hometown. It didn't matter that she knew peoples names; they didn't know her. Ironically, she was nothing BUT a shadow in the other world...

"I will have a cute outfit like yours, then?" she asked him with a friendly smile. The clothes he had were adorable, especially with the added accessories. This boy probably had the most amazing wardrobe. Also, he was right. The image of a maid did not suit her. Dresses never were her favourite thing to wear, not even when she was a small child.

Plus, she liked the idea of finding a way to belong here.

Still in thought, MD took one of the massive sweet rolls and tore off a piece to put into her mouth. She chewed slowly, analyzing the new flavour. Since this was one of the first things she ate here, it would probably be a favourite. She could see herself asking, in the future, to go to the bakery just for a sweet roll.

"You sure it won't be dangerous? I mean, I have no shadow..." MD brought up a bit nervously. "But I do want to explore."

Atlantis was more or less her new friend, she figured. So it made sense that she'd want to spend the day with him, doing something that wasn't sitting around in a house...
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:18 am

"No worries! The people in this town are all dumb, anyways. It is highly doubtful that they'd even notice your shadow missing." Atlantis then said. He then gave her a wink, "Besides, I have the power to look into people's souls and hearts. I'm a Peacekeeper after all. And as I've said, you're a good little lady!"

A rare feeling of intimacy could be felt in the dining room hall, the first time in years. This home had been devoid of life, since Rory seemed to like coming and going at his whims. It seemed to have belonged to some family beforehand, MD just knew it. With Atlantis here, the walls seemed more cheery than they did when Rory was in the same room.

"Now!" He clapped, "To figure out your perfect outfit!" Atlantis then formed his two hands into a rectangle and started to move it around, attempting to get a feel for MD's size without having to use a measuring tool like a normal tailor would do. "Hrmm, your cut should go with your hair. Not quite like mine. Oh I got it!" He clapped his hands again. A sparkling light then touched her forehead. MD closed her eyes. Then upon opening them she was in a well tailored uniform. It was indeed like Atlantis' but with an open collar and well tied bow was around her neck. On her head sat a handsome blue post master's cap and she also wore a long skirt with long black stockings. "Now don't you worry about the cold! With me, there's always enough warmth to go around!"

Atlantis then grabbed MD's hand and led her outside. In front of the house, stood a 1920s vintage motorbike.

He then gently placed MD on the back of the seat and then he mounted the vehicle. "Now, let's go have some fun!"

"The innocence of the young,
Seeing the world as a peaceful place.
Nothing can break their will, and it should
Stay that way. Let us rediscover this for
Each other."

Atlantis began to sing, it was a routine that he had always gone through while starting up his motorbike. He believed that machines had souls just like the rest of the world. In order to keep them happy, one must always sing to them from time to time. "There, there. Here we go old friend." As the motor of his mechanical bike started up, the young angel then continued the ancient song...

"On wings of gossamer, They come to help.
Those behind the walls, That are lost or have forgotten.
Sweet and innocent, or Bold and brash, The angels of light,
One and all, Have descended upon this town,To fulflll their quests, and bring about a new dawn for Winterland, a place
Of rebirth."
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 am

MD looked over her new outfit curiously, amazed by how easily he could make one appear. One that fit her perfectly, too. Oddly enough, she felt more like herself in the postmaster uniform. Dresses were always too feminine to her. As a little girl, she was always tomboyish, but as years passed she was maturing into a more feminine figure. Despite that she was a nerdy one...

Only seconds later did he drag her over to the motorbike they'd be traveling on. Fascination lit her eyes the moment she saw it. The piece of work was old looking, yet in great shape. It wasn't often she got to see such a machine! Perhaps on the road once or twice because a collector was taking it out for a ride, but this opportunity was up close.

After getting situated behind Atlantis, she instinctively wrapped her arms around his waist to reassure her safety. Silently, she listened to his chant to the bike. The words were nothing familiar. It was most likely a song she was too young to recognize, otherwise he wrote it himself and shared it only with himself.

As the world passed in front of her, she watched scenery come and go, doing her best to register what was what. This place was foreign to her; she wanted to visit every place she could. With her new friendly companion, she felt much less shy about approaching it. Having Atlantis as her atlas was a comforting assurance.

"Where are we headed?" she asked him, wondering if they were going to anywhere in particular.
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:20 am

The land drifted along slowly. The setting was peaceful and not at all dark and gloomy like the building that Rory called home. It was mostly farmlands from what MD could tell. Few trees were scattered here and there Fresh snow blanketed the ground. Above them, the sky was a splendid blue. It was unlike anything she had seen before. There was no skyline. It looked wild and free.

MD found it odd. It was clearly winter time but neither she nor Atlantis seemed to be effected by it. The only warm thing she had on was a scarf. Maybe his comment about enough warmth coming from him was true. This boy did have a big heart...

"We will be visiting various homes and the such around the village. I will warn ya, it is not the biggest place on the globe. The people here like things small and simple. Can't blame though, it is much nicer than the stuff us Winged Ones have to put up with in our everyday lives."

Atlantis then pointed to the side bag that carried the letters. "I have no real route ever laid out for my job here. It's all based upon my whims!" MD carefully grabbed one of the items. It was a package wrapped in a fancy purple tinfoil paper. She then read the address a loud, "3030, South Scottsburg Street."

He then laughed as he began to speed up. "Life is more fun when one decides to not follow the same old routine!"

"Now hopefully my singing doesn't bother you as much as it does when I'm around my fellow Peacekeeprs!"

Atlantis once again began to sing: "The winds of change ride on the backs of the ones with and without wings. They lead us all into that unknown realm. Changes come in all forms. Even those we think that are lost, may not always be! To those that find themselves, they will soon come to find this land to be a beacon of hope."
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:20 am

The weather seemed like it should be painfully cold. There was more snow on the ground than MD had ever seen in her life and the passing winds were chilly. Yet, she didn't make a single shiver. Atlantis was like a furnace! It made her wonder if all people were as warm as he was. Hugs from her parents were certainly comforting, but this seemed so much more different... Puzzling as it was, she knew she liked it. So she wasn't going to shy away from it.

MD put the package in her hand back into the mail bag after reading the address. By the way the homes looked and the address was named, everything was as simple as Atlantis said. That was a relief. Hopefully, all would be as normal as Rory's house! Or at least close to it. There was something odd about that house of his. She never believed in superstitions, but the place gave her the creeps. It made her wonder if there was a ghost spying on her.

'I probably dreamed about it... My dreams are so strange.'

"I don't mind your singing. It sounds pretty," she commented when he finished his song, a gentle smile touching her lips. That was an honest compliment. Atlantis' voice was soothing and she really liked the lyrics.
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 am

Atlantis nodded and began to speed up the motorbike and soon they reached the main center of the town. The village was certainly larger than MD would have guessed from her short time here. There was a large clock tower that stood center. Her nose caught the smells of a bakery and it make her tummy growl. Atlantis continued on his drive and they soon reached a two story cream colored brick building. It was unassuming but Atlantis seemed almost giddy to be here.

"We've made it to our first stop! I love this place. Good draw MD!" He then stopped the motorbike and helped MD off.

Just then a fat man walked up, "So how about that snow storm from a few days ago? I bet that put dampers on your trade."

"It was alright. The Company has safe houses on all the major routes." Atlantis said to the man while he locked the motorbike. MD stood close to him as possible. Rory did say that the people in the town would be weary of a human without their shadow and she didn't want to scare off any potential costumers for Atlantis.

"Oh on ahead." Atlantis said, "The Lady that lives here is a witch of sorts. Red hair. Can't miss her. Nopes."

MD nodded and she grabbed on tightly to the package she had grabbed from the bag while on the ride.

"Is it afternoon already? Oh dear. I have over slept again." The woman with red hair said. "How can I help you?" The woman said with a forced smile on her face. She hadn't expected to have guests today. The woman looked at as her visitor enetered. She hadn't seen her before and there were so few people who came anymore it immediately made her curiosity grow.

MD looked around. This "house" as MD had assumed it was, in fact a library . A large one at that for being such a small building. Something caught MD's interest but she couldn't make out what the book was about. She then grabbed one of the books down from one of the shelves and started flicking through it.

"Ah!" The librarian recognized that book, a favorite of her's. A smile grew on her lips, this little girl had good tastes.

"Good afternoon, my name is Geneva and I would be glad to help you out if you need anything." She smiled and held out her hand a little meekly. "Please just ask."
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

MD could spend an entire day in a library. There were times when she'd go there to study, and when finished, she'd pull out a book to read until the library closed. There was something comforting and amazing about being surrounded by shelves of books. She always wondered if being a librarian would be the best career in the world. MD would even settle on a retail position at a bookstore! So as long as she had her books, she was happy.

The book in her hands was already distracting her to the point of feeling disconnected with reality. This book was something she'd never heard of, but something she was already enjoying. It felt as if the book called out to her. Already, she was waiting for a character she could relate to, an idea of the plot, what the setting was... MD didn't even read for a title or summary of the story.

At the turn of a page, she noticed she might have been being rude. MD quickly shut the book with her thumb holding her place, her other hand adjusting her glasses. They were in no need of adjusting; it was just a quirky habit of hers.

"M-Miss Geneva!" she said with some enthusiasm, letting the woman know she caught her name. At the last minute, too. The woman, said to be a witch, had a beautiful hair colour. This must have been the person she was supposed to give the package to.

"I have a delivery for you, ma'am," MD said, setting the book down and taking the mail into her hand. She offered it to Geneva, or else waited to be told where to set it.
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

"Why thank you." Geneva said. "Just place it over on the corner of my desk. I shall open it at a later time. Mail comes regularly for me. A chance to speak with another person not very often." The Librarian then caught a glimpse of the book that MD had randomly picked out.

"Ooooo. You'll love this story. I see that it called to you." Geneva then pointed to a table nearest to a large window. "If you aren't too busy, I'd love to talk with you about this, that, and the other thing."

MD could tell that this lady probably didn't get a lot of contact with others. Maybe, all the people in this world were just like Rory? Atlantis seemed to be the only semi-normal person so far. "I'll make up some tea. What do you like the best?"
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:22 am

MD wasn't expecting to be involved in a conversation. She really was interested in the book, though. Hopefully Atlantis would not mind... They weren't in any hurry, right? She expected him to come inside if they needed to get moving.

"Earl gray?" she asked in response to the tea. The only times she'd really drink it was when she was ill, or when the weather was unbearably cold. While not unbearable, the temperature was still chilly out. A warm beverage sounded delightful.

"Thank you very much," MD added with a friendly smile, then found herself a chair to sit in. Quickly, she pulled herself to a table so she could set the book down, and she waited for Geneva to return with the tea.

What in the world were they going to talk about, though? Aside from the book. This, that and the other thing was what the woman said. An odd choice of words, but she assumed it was all important.
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:22 am

Geneva quickly returned with the teas. There was a motherly smile on her face. She then placed the tray on the table. Geneva seemed to be very graceful and humble. This interested MD. So far, all the people she had met were very colorful. Maybe some normality in this strange world of snow and angels was a gift sent from the heavens.

"Early Gray. You are probably the only youngling I know that likes to drink it around here."

Geneva then blew a little into the still warm tea before taking a sip. "You are very welcomed, my friend."

She then placed the cup down, "I do apologize if I seem informal. My policy is always treating a stranger as if they were your friend. It is rather naive, I know but it is something I firmly believe in following."

"After you take a few sips of your tea, why don't you bring that book over here? I can tell you a little more about it. You have chosen a very special one."
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 am

MD smiled sweetly at the woman before she sipped her tea. A pleasant warmth spread through her limbs, melting any and all frigidness she got from being outside. The clothes she wore were warm, yes, but they couldn't protect her from the cold one-hundred percent. With this tea and the atmosphere of literature, MD just wanted to stay here and read.

After setting down the cup of tea, she slid it across the table while moving closer to Geneva, the book tucked at her underarm. In a matter of seconds, she had a chair set up beside the woman so they could sit side by side. The book was opened to the first page after it too was set on the table, with their beverages. She decided to put her hands in her lap then, after pushing her glasses farther up her nose.

"What makes this book so special, ma'am?" MD inquired with an adoring look of curiosity.
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 am

The red hair woman then smiled. "That book is the Book of Knowledge." She then placed her tea cup down. "I'll explain its importance in the form of a story....But first open it."

MD slowly opened the book, holding Geneva's gaze for a moment before she dropped her eyes to the page below. There where no page numbers from what she could tell. The handwriting was admirable, MD found it pleasent to look at. She was falling back intoa habit of looking at the initial layout of the page before entering the realm of the contents of writing.

MD blinked, then concentrated on the meaning behind the neatly written words.

Oct 23rd

Hello Dairy.

This Laurannia once again. I know that my brother and the rest of my family believes that I’m too sickly to leave the home. That’s completely false! I’ve sneaked out of the house many times before. Anyways, today I found some important things out! I mean it is really grand and it is about the lands that surround this little town on the edge of the world. As I mentioned many times before, I befriended one of the Winged Ones that wanders around the town, his name is Rory. He is around twenty four years old and is a great person to be around.

We found a novel that tells the story of a mysterious village that is surrounded by protective magical walls. The walls are viewed by the villagers as a blessing rather than a curse. According to their covenant with God, no one may ever leave, or the enchantment will be broken and the site and all its inhabitants will disappear forever. However, there are ways to get over the walls, if one is ready. They need the help of the Mahoreopmec.

Rory told me this, “You shouldna be too surprised, lass. I told ye when ye respect someone deeply, anythin' is possible. Even miracles." I wonder, if this means that if we work with the Winged Ones, we can cross over the walls? This morning, we hid the book and later tonight, we plan to leave together. Once I find out the secrets of these walls, I can find a cure for my sickness and then my dear brother will no longer have to worry about me… "

"Ah ha!" Geneva then said. "That page called out to you. Interesting, very interesting. I guess my story will have to wait. I had no idea that you were involved with the affairs of that young man mentioned in those passages."

It seemed that Geneva knew these stories rather well....
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:24 am

MD reread the entry twice, letting the words sink in. She was trying to understand what it all meant. Was this important to her in some way? Was it connected to her? There were so many questions on her mind now. Not to mention, this mentioned a 'Winged One' named Rory. This had her wondering if this was the very same Rory she was hired to clean for.

Briefly, she made a smirk when she referred to Rory as a 'young man'. Indeed, he appeared youthful. She'd been assuming he was much older than he appeared, though. Then again, perhaps everyone in this realm was that way. Maybe even Atlantis, the youngest looking she'd seen so far, was ancient as well. There was so much about this world she did not yet understand.

Now, she was anxious as ever to learn more. There was more to it than 'why am I here?' and 'how did I get here in the first place?'. There were so many more reason attached to her simply existing in these Winterlands.

"So, this is the same Rory that read my dreams?" she inquired, though it was rhetorical. Obviously it was. "Who was Laurannia? Did she ever find her cure?"

MD decided then to flip a page to see if the book could answer her. As she searched for these answers, her eyes rolled upward so she could glance above her glasses at Geneva, silently asking if there was more she could tell her.
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chavah Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 am

Geneva then giggled, "Yes. That is the same old Rory. I'm more than sure that you know by now that he's a Dreamkeeper."
She got up for a moment, taking MD's cup with her, and poured more tea for the both of them. As she walked, MD noticed that Geneva had device strapped under her long coat. It was mostly obscured by the coat, but there was an outline that was fairly apparently. The upper half appeared to go up to her shoulders. This fiery redhead had a back brace on.
Geneva came back a few moments later, with two fresh cups of her tea. She noticed MD’s eye movements. It appeared that this librarian understood MD’s non-spoken question.
“Interested in Rory, eh?” The woman had a mischievous smile on her face. “That man is such a romantic to say the least… As for Laurannia, I, sadly, do not know much about her.”
Geneva then took a sip of her tea. “I do know that she was his love. But the details of his post-war life are a little fuzzy to most. I doubt even your friend Atlantis knows a whole lot about Rory.”
She then sighed happily, as if she were remembering the old times.
“Many years ago, there was a queen of the Winged Ones, with the same name that I have, that wished to remain neutral in a conflict between two opposing tribes. Rory was involved with the queen in order to help keep her free from conflict….”
Atlantis then entered the library. However, he didn’t head towards the chatting women. He threw his jacket off and shook his cold hands to try to warm them up.
“Anyways,” Geneva said, “From what I’ve been told, he’s rather secretive due to events.”
Chavah
Chavah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:41 pm

When the word 'romantic' was spoke, MD made a brief look of amusement. She trusted the woman's words, but imagining Rory as romantic was still hard to believe. There was something to be said about the quiet ones, though. There were many surprising secrets to them and they tended to be the most spontaneous when it came to romance. Apparently, there were many other secrets to him...

"I am interested in him, yes. You've been very helpful. I'm sure in time, I'll learn more. If he'll let me."

The fresh cup of tea was brought to her lips then and thoughtfully, she took a couple of sips. Geneva said that even Atlantis wouldn't know too much about Rory. So, it looked like she would have to learn her own ways: patience and research. Those were her usual ways of going about things, anyway. She preferred to learn through books and the internet, rather than asking peers. Perhaps there were more books related to Rory.

"I can understand that he's secretive. It sounds like a lot has happened," she said after her drink, her head nodding with reassurance.

"I suppose I should get back to my deliveries now, Miss Geneva... Unless there is more I must know? Or perhaps, you could tell me more about yourself? That's all right if not. I could always come back. I like it here, and you're so kind."

A polite smile touched her lips as she awaited the woman's reply. Part of her hoped there was at least a little more to talk about. She was enjoying the company of Geneva, who she was also quite curious about.
Fluffy
Fluffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum